Spring is a superb time to take inventory of how your winter food regimen and coaching have progressed. Maybe your self-examination will reveal that your thighs, calves and buttocks are softer and sagging a bit greater than you need. Even if that is so right now, a tighter food regimen and targeted assault on the decrease physique will flip issues round slightly rapidly. Squat jumps are an effective way to start out this decrease physique evolution. They may generate muscle energy, enhance physique stability, agency the thighs, calves and buttocks, and burn energy within the course of. It is usually an incredible train in the event you can’t make it to the health club, as a result of you are able to do squat jumps even when there is no such thing as a health club in sight.
Muscle Construction and Operate
The squat soar entails many thigh, calf and hip muscle mass, however solely the most important ones will likely be mentioned right here. The quadriceps femoris muscle group consists of 4 thigh muscle mass.1 The vastus lateralis muscle covers the lateral a part of the femur bone of the thigh. The vastus medialis muscle is anchored to the medial a part of the femur. The vastus intermedius muscle is hooked up to the central, anterior a part of the femur. The muscle fibers from these three vasti muscle mass connect to the quadriceps tendon. The rectus femoris begins on the hipbones on the iliac crest and above the hip joint and never on the femur.2 Its fibers lengthen to the patellar tendon together with the three vastus muscle mass to connect to the patella (knee cap). This tendon continues from the patella to the tibia bone of the decrease leg because the patellar ligament. Collectively, the three vasti and the rectus femoris lengthen the leg on the knee.
The gluteus maximus is the most important muscle of the buttocks.1 It extends the thigh when you’re leaping upwards from the squat place. The fibers of the gluteus medius muscle run between the ileum bone of the hip and the posterior a part of the femur bone of the thigh. It abducts the femur on the hip joint by shifting the femur laterally, away from the midline of the physique. The gluteus medius maintains physique stability in the course of the takeoff and touchdown of squat jumps.
Collectively, the lengthy head of the biceps femoris, semimembranosus and semitendinosus muscle mass are the hamstring muscle mass that reside on the posterior thigh. These muscle mass connect to the posterior sides of hip and pelvic bones.1 They lengthen down the posterior aspect of the femur bone to connect both on the medial aspect of the tibia bone of the leg (semitendinosus), the medial aspect of the superior a part of the tibia bone (semimembranosus) or the lateral aspect of the tibia bone just under the knee (biceps femoris). Collectively, these muscle mass flex the knee. Nevertheless, when the foot is on the bottom, the hamstrings lengthen the hip joint, and due to this fact these muscle mass are very lively in the course of the upwards leap in soar squats.
You need to stretch your quadriceps and hamstrings and do a pair minutes of sunshine stationary biking earlier than starting this train.3 That is necessary as a result of squat jumps are slightly explosive as you thrust upwards from the squat place, so the muscle mass and joints ought to first be warmed up appropriately. As well as, your footwear ought to have a very good rubber sole so that you received’t slip on the bench.
1. If in case you have not executed these earlier than, begin with a low bench that’s about 12 inches excessive.
2. Straddle the bench in order that one foot is on both aspect of it. Your toes ought to be about shoulder-width aside.
3. Squat down till your knees are flexed to an angle of about 90 levels. It’s possible you’ll want to increase your arms in entrance of you to close shoulder stage to enhance your stability in the course of the jumps.
4. Explosively spring upwards. Convey each toes nearer collectively as you soar in order that each toes concurrently land on high of the bench. Bend your knees to a 90-degree angle and squat when your toes hit the highest of the bench. The squat on the bench will improve the work in your thighs and buttocks and it’ll additionally take in the jarring forces which can be generated in the course of the soar.
5. As soon as you might be on the bench, thrust upwards from the squat place and soar off the bench. Widen your stance in order that each toes hit the ground concurrently.
6. Instantly squat as your toes hit the ground. This can each take in the soar downward and likewise put together you for the following soar upwards.
7. Proceed for at least 15 repetitions however work as much as 25. Relaxation a couple of minute, after which repeat the set. You possibly can work as much as 3 units. Upon getting mastered this, choose the next bench (e.g., 18 inches) and progressively work as much as a bench that’s 24 inches in top. Don’t fear, you’ll grasp the train rapidly4 and end up searching for increased benches very quickly.
The relative diploma of muscle exercise differs among the many quadriceps muscle mass in the course of the soar. The stress within the vasti muscle mass diminishes as you method the highest portion of the carry (with the knees straightened). Conversely, the rectus femoris is much less lively on the backside however turns into extra activated when the hip and knee are being prolonged. Because the gluteus maximus muscle and hamstring muscle mass are sturdy extensors of the hip, they’re very lively in the course of the soar upwards.
This can be a actually intensive train. The muscle mass of your decrease physique will likely be stretched beneath your body weight as you soar off the bench throughout every repetition,5 which implies your muscle mass can grow to be sore from this train. When executed accurately, the squat soar generally is a nice complement to different weight coaching or cardio. Alternatively, squat jumps can work independently to successfully agency your decrease physique, burn a whole lot of energy and offer you higher leaping capability6 or simply carry a spring to your step.
1. Moore, KL and AF Dalley. Clinically Oriented Anatomy. Fourth version. Baltimore, Lippincott Williams & Williams, 1999; 531-546.
2. Waligora AC, Johanson NA, Hirsch BE. Medical anatomy of the quadriceps femoris and extensor equipment of the knee. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2009; 467: 3297-3306.
3. Pacheco L, Balius R, Aliste L et al. The acute results of various stretching workouts on soar efficiency. J Energy Cond Res 2011;25:2991-2998.
4. Randell AD, Cronin JB, Keogh JW et al. Reliability of efficiency velocity for soar squats beneath suggestions and nonfeedback circumstances. J Energy Cond Res 2011;25:3514-3518.
5. Foure A, Nordez A, Cornu C. Results of plyometric coaching on passive stiffness of gastrocnemii muscle mass and Achilles tendon. Eur J Appl Physiol 2011; in press.
6. Ziv, G , Lidor, R 2009. Vertical soar in feminine and male basketball players-A evaluation of observational and experimental research. J Sci Med Sport 2010;13, 332-339, 2010.